Recently, I had to install Remote Server Administration Tools on a Windows 8.1 Update 1 (32 bit) PC.
So I downloaded Windows8.1-KB2693643-x86.msu and as normally, executed the file to install it.
But after several minutes, I found the installer had stuck on “Searching for updates on this computer”.
After some further investigation, I found that the process was stale and was not even using any resources (CPU, RAM, HDD etc.).
Even after trying many times, it always stuck at the same screen. So I just ended the process and started looking for the solution to the problem.
The solution through which I was able to get my task done was:
- Download UniExtract: A tool to extract files from exe, msi, cab, and any other type of archives.
You can also use any other archiving tool like WinRar etc.
- Extract the files from the Windows8.1-KB2693643-x86.msu to a folder.
- Now, Windows8.1-KB2693643-x86.cab file from the extracted files had to be installed.
- To install the .cab file, do the following:
- Open the command Prompt in Admin Mode
- Navigate to the directory where the files are extracted
- Type: dism /online /add-package /packagepath:Windows8.1-KB2693643-x86.cab
You can also give path in the command as:
dism /online /add-package /packagepath:D:\RSAT\Windows8.1-KB2693643-x86.cab
- Congratulations!!! The Remote Server Administration Tools have successfully been installed onto the system.